Thursday, December 20, 2012

Exercise In SE Asia

I used my first squat toilet and I even had to pay to do it. Giant sp!ders and using squat toilets were my two biggest fears about this trip. Previous experience with squatting in the woods ended up with me peeing on myself. I was so nervous about this that I started doing squats at home and read the following article three times before I left: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Squat-Toilet.

Usually these look a little more used and there is water everywhere.


I was about to get on a 2 hour bus (which could mean 4 hours) so I paid to use the bathroom at the bus station. I came precariously close to peeing on my foot but walked away dry. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though I wouldn't want to use one if I've been drinking. The upside to squatters is that they are easier to use with a huge backpack on than a normal toilet.

When I got to my hostel in Kuala Lumpur and discovered they only had squatters I thought, no problem, I just dominated this a few hours ago at the bus station. Later when I went to the bathroom my confident smile quickly faded when I finished and realized there was no toilet paper. Oh shit. I nervously looked at the bathroom hose and did what I had to do. I walked out of the bathroom with slightly wet pants and one step closer to living like a local. Practice makes perfect?

I later discovered there was another bathroom in the hostel with a western toilet.

I now also carry toilet paper with me wherever I go.

-Kim

2 comments:

  1. Tsk, tsk. I thought I told you how to use those squatty toilets at book club. Remember? then bri's boy walked in the door and was very confused.

    ReplyDelete